Thanks again to all who contributed to #FutureFitComms yesterday.
— Michael Ambjorn (@michaelambjorn) May 17, 2016
RESOURCES, ADVICE AND QUOTES
** If we’ve missed something above (or below), be sure to share it now using #FutureFitComms **
- Podcast: ‘This old content marketing’: Joe Pulizzi
- TED Talk: ‘Start with why’, Simon Sinek
- Book: ‘Love is the killer app’, Tim Sanders
- Book: ‘The tao of coaching’, Max Landsberg
- Audiobook: ‘The neurobiology of we’, Dan Siegel
- Chatbox – a platform for digital messaging and collaboration between businesses and their customers over text, live chat, social and email.
- #ECCASE – the mnemonic for the IABC Global Standard for the Communication Profession
- OASIS – the framework for UK Government communications
Find more useful resources on this IABC Extreme Reading / Listening List as collated by your international peers.
At the heart of every good comms strategy…
- Use of rigour and a systematic approach to answer – ‘on what basis do you know what you know?’
- Communications sharpens the organisation’s mission. Make sure your comms strategy / plan is rigorously aligned to the leaders’ strategy.
- Focus on business objectives or how communications makes the business more professional, rather than delivery.
- Employ strategic planning that incorporates insights from staff on what think will work in their context.
- Professional communicators are / should be trusted advisors. Claim your place!
IABC resources that can help you put the above into practice:
Organisations are about people…
- Find your soul, humanise your brand.
- Communicators humanise business.
- Humanise it!
- Good conversations with humans – “understanding the soul of the business. Trust and transparency are key.
- Two-way conversations, through whatever channel it takes. Around the campfire analogy.
- The growing importance and understanding of how our minds work and how we use that knowledge to improve our ability to understand and influence audiences.
- Know yourself, know your customer. Required: self discipline!
Making it happen…
- Know about filter bubbles leading to confirmation bias when reaching people.
- Working out loud in a network #WOLAN.
- Use visuals to make the complex simple.
- Encouraging interactivity across cultures and technologies.
- Integration of chatbots to interrogate engagement and social discussions.
- Incentivise collaboration by remembering motivations: reputation; self satisfaction.
- Don’t just protect a reputation, build a brand (the 3-some thing!)
IABC resources that can help you put the all of the above into practice:
- Tap into your peers at IABC – attend local and global events (we hope to see you at #IABC16 too!).
- Consider mentoring or apply to become a mentee – learn more here.
QUOTE FOR THE DAY
“The future of the future will still contain the past” – Everything But The Girl
PROPOSED NEXT STEPS
- Follow the speakers to stay tuned to what they’re up to next.
- Share this with a communicator who couldn’t make it but who might find it useful… and if you’re not already an IABCer, why not join now.
Big thanks to all who contributed in-person – and virtually.
Let’s #createconnection like never before.