IABC’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) will be held on Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 3:30 p.m. at the Washington Hilton in Washington D.C. If you are a delegate, below is a punch list of the items we will be voting on. Please leave a comment below, or reach out to our Chair if you have questions.
Vision, Purpose, Philosophy: Reaffirming our Strategic Intent
After our global listening tour to inform the new #IABC1720 strategy, we have a proposed update to our vision, purpose and philosophy statements. Everyone who participated in the process gave us a lot to think about and definitely improved the final recommendation.
- Vision: Professional communicators at the heart of every organization.
- Purpose: To advance the profession, create connection and develop strategic communicators.
- Philosophy: IABC pledges to:
- Represent the global profession.
- Foster a diverse community.
- Focus on insights and results.
- Honor our Code of Ethics.
We will achieve this by being open, contemporary and professional.
Our journey to this place:
- Bringing out the Best in Us: #IABC1720 Strategy Sessions Kickstart in Brussels Today
- Setting Our Path: IABC’s Vision
- Creating the IABC Vision, Purpose and Philosophy
- Transforming IABC
Tweaks to Bylaws
This year, the Policy Review Committee, chaired by Victor Zalakos from the Canberra [Australia] chapter, did a detailed cross-check of the bylaws for alignment with the Policy Manual update approved at the 2016 AGM last June. The following changes will be voted on:
- Add ‘International’ to ‘Executive Board’ throughout Bylaw document to bring clarity.
- Include ‘All chartered chapters are required to sign the IABC Chapter Affiliation Agreement’ following the last sentence of Article 3 Organizational Structure, Section 4, Chapter, where it discusses chapter affiliation.
- In the same section, edit the following sentence: Chapters shall organize themselves to serve their members in any appropriate manner that does not contravene the bylaws, policies, procedures, or the IABC Code of Ethics for Professional Communicators. The new sentence will read: Chapters shall organize themselves to serve their members in an appropriate manner that does not contradict the bylaws, policies, procedures, or the IABC Code of Ethics for Professional Communicators.
- In Article 8, Executive Board nominations, Section (e) Proxy: edit this statement so that it is more flexible and allows a region to appoint a proxy if the regional chair is not able to serve on the Nominating Committee meeting. The new statement will read: ‘Shall a Nominating Committee delegate be unable to serve; the Region may appoint an acting officer of the regional board or a past regional chair as a proxy.’
Requirements to Serve as Secretary/ Treasurer
In previous years, the application to serve as Secretary/Treasurer required serving one year on the Finance Committee. The application was revised and this requirement fell away. This change brings back the requirement and adds it to the Bylaws. It gives IABC the benefit of working with an experienced Secretary/Treasurer. The adjusted language will read: ‘The Secretary/Treasurer shall serve at least one year on the Finance Committee before taking office and will serve a one-year term. They may be elected for a second consecutive term.’
IABC Foundation Bylaws
There is a small tweak to the Foundation Bylaws. This change is an edit for clarity. The existing purpose (Article 1 Name and Location, Section 2, Purpose) for the Foundation reads:
- The mission of the IABC Foundation is to generate resources to fund IABC strategic initiatives that advance the practice, perception and effectiveness of the communication profession across the globe.
The proposed change is to adjust the language to ‘The mission of IABC Foundation is to generate resources to fund and support strategic initiatives in line with IABC’s mission and to demonstrate the power of professional communication as a force for good in business and society.’
The change has two purposes. First, to clarify that the Foundation does not raise money for IABC programs, but rather to support IABC Foundation grants and scholarships that are aligned with IABC’s mission. Secondly, to align the mission with the new revitalized Foundation vision to focus on these pillars:
- Gift of Communication
- Gift of Excellence
- Gift of Experience
- Gift of Insight
Thank you to all our members and leaders for your ongoing participation and support in making IABC an unmatched peer community dedicated to excellence in practice. See you at the AGM!