As we wind up what has been a year of change and many important advancements for our IABC, the December Leadership Forum offers a reflection on progress we’ve made along with priorities to be addressed in the new year. This month we focused the spotlight on the exciting and valuable work of our newly re-imagined IABC Foundation, and what’s in store for Leadership Institute, World Conference, certification, and more!
To begin, and as we wind up 2016, we take a moment to focus on our overarching 2016-2017 strategic priority:
This board year will be satisfaction-led and focused on achieving financial sustainability and increasing our membership retention.
Retention is one of the key areas of focus this board term and on that note I’d like to share some important updates, a progress review and a look at efforts underway to ensure we provide the IABC value that will keep our members engaged and improves member loyalty:
- Retention continues to be one of the association’s greatest growth opportunities
- Retention has increased by 13% over the course of 2016, and is up 21.5% over the end of 2015.
- This is good news and means we are moving in the right direction, but does not at all mean that we do not still have a lot of room to continue improving.
- In 2016, several initiatives were rolled out to improve member value and increase retention. Those include:
- Implementation of members-only content on the IABC website, which includes the creation and release of new content such as Gold Quill case studies
- Publication of two e-books free to IABC members
- Implementation of monthly free to member webinars
- Implementation of a series of onboarding emails to first time members
- Implementation, beginning this month, of a monthly email highlighting member only resources at your fingertips
- As we look forward, we continue to examine ways to provide tangible value to members and drive an increase in retention. Some items on the horizon include an improved online experience with the new Association Management System (AMS) being implemented in 2017, improved resources for chapter leaders via the AMS and Leader Centre, and exploration of a private social network for IABC members only – on the longer horizon.
Our very special guest for December is IABC Foundation Committee Vice Chair Sherry Boyd. Sherry is helping to lead us into an impactful new era with our re-envisioned Foundation. Sherry provided important updates about the work of the new committee and the exciting initiative of ‘Gift of Communication in a Box’ which will be presented at Leadership Institute! We are thrilled with this offering which will support our leaders by providing tools to help fulfill our IABC mission of driving communication as a force for good in business and society. This is an amazing endeavor and opportunity for all of us to work together to make a positive impact in our communities by offering our time, talent and treasure and seeing our Foundation thrive for the greater good.
Check out other important updates in the December Forum on the Leadership Institute, including a special Foundation session with our host chapter Dallas’s Heroes presentation, a mega #IABC1720 Strategy Planning session, Gold Quill and awards technology updates, reminders of some new members- only features including monthly free to members webinars and member only content including e-books, GQ case studies, videos, podcasts, and more.
Speaking of important updates, the excitement continues to build as we look forward to an outstanding IABC World Conference to be held at the Washington Hilton in Washington, D.C. 11–14 June, 2017. http://wc.iabc.com/
There are a number of positive changes in the conference agenda and session formats that have been designed to better align with the IABC Brand, including a daily theme that relates directly to activities and content. Some highlights:
The Welcome Reception will be at the magnificent International Trade Center in Washington D.C. – the perfect place to kick off the event with our global community.
We have a phenomenal slate of keynote speakers – three of whom have already been announced:
- Sunday Opening Keynote: Gabrielle Dolan – an Australia native and global thought leader on authentic leadership and business storytelling. She has run workshops all over Australia, in New Zealand, in Malaysia…and in many other places.
- Monday Morning Keynote: Jon Iwata, who is SVP of Marketing & Communications for IBM and the architect of IBM’s strategic brand platforms. His global team is responsible for the marketing of IBM’s product and services portfolio in more than 170 countries.
- Tuesday Morning Keynote: Denise Jacobs, who is an author, speaker and creativity evangelist. She focuses on busting through creative blocks, cultivating collaboration and up-leveling creative productivity.
- Stay tuned, our closing keynote will be announced in January!
- The complete slate of the recently finalized slate of breakout sessions and speakers will be posted in January.
World Café & Speed Networking
- We have added a World Café session on Monday afternoon which will be an opportunity to talk in small groups about topical issues that we as communication professionals are facing.
- Additionally, there will be an optional lunch and speed networking event on Tuesday.
- Register by 31 December and save US$400!
- If you know anyone considering an IABC membership, they can register and become a member simultaneously for an $800 savings!
International Executive Board/Committees #IABCieb
Nominations to the International Executive Board are open until 11 January. I encourage you to give thoughtful consideration to taking your dedication and leadership in IABC to the global level and apply to serve on the IEB or an international committee. IABC needs a strong team of committed volunteers to take us forward to an even brighter and more successful future. How might you be able to add your expertise to advancing our association and the communication profession?
The open call for 2017-2018 IEB nominations closes on Wednesday, 11 January at 5:00pm EST . The call for international committees will open 23 January.
Affiliation Agreements Due
As you know, IABC has introduced an updated Affiliation Agreement, which chapters should submit to headquarters by 31 December 2016. (If your chapter has already done so, Thank You!)
The Affiliation Agreement serves to provide a common understanding of mutual expectations between IABC Chapters and IABC International. The agreement outlines the services and deliverables that can be expected of International and will serve as a mutually beneficial service level agreement.
There are not any material changes in the ways that Chapters operate under the updated Affiliation Agreement. As always, Chapters must continue to remain in compliance with the IABC Policy Manual, Bylaws, and Code of Ethics.
Certification opportunities and deadlines
Kudos to our 24 new certified Communication Management Professionals! We are so proud of all of our CMPs for demonstrating their skills and knowledge in professional communication. The next exam will be held at Leadership Institute, where we are piloting the first online exam. I hope you’ll step up to become recognized for your skills and expertise in our profession with the CMP designation.
Important certification exam dates:
23 January: Deadline to apply for eligibility to sit exam
9 February: Deadline to register to sit exam
23 February: CMP exam
In more important news; the Global Communication Certification Council (GCCC) is lowering the cost of the CMP certification program.
The GCCC is adjusting the cost associated with becoming a certified Communication Management Professional (CMP) and making the following rate changes:
Application fee (IABC members): US$100
Application fee (non-members): US$400
Examination fee (all): US$400
Maintenance fee (all): US$100 annually
The GCCC adjusted the pricing structure and fees in order to reduce the barrier to entry to certification. Find out more about the program and application process. Please contact Certification Program Manager Sara Fowdy, Ed.D., at email@example.com with any questions.
2017 World Conference – Super-saver rate ends 31 December 2016!
You could save US$400 if you register before the end of the year.
Thank you more than I can express for your support, dedication and leadership which will make our IABC the best it can be as we move forward to a brilliant 2017!
All the very best wishes to you for a wonder-full holiday season and a year of success, joy and peace.
Hashtags and links:
#IABCieb -IABC International Executive Board
2017 World Conference